I was born and raised in Taber Alberta. When I was seventeen I moved to Lethbridge to attend college and university. Here I began to dabble in martial arts by sporadically training boxing and wrestling while completing my degree in business.
In June of 1999 I moved to Edmonton to pursue my accounting designation. I started training in Taekwondo under Master Simon Chung and began devoting myself to martial arts. I completed my designation of accounting and became a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) in August of 2002.
I received my First Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo in November of 2003. I began my role as an instructor after years spent as an assistant instructor. I further dedicated myself to martial arts by beginning studying Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Professor Mike Yackulic in June of 2004. Due to my interest in Mixed Martial Arts, I started training Shoot Wrestling in addition to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. During this time, I underwent Olympic Team Training in Taekwondo.
In March of 2006 I was awarded my Second Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo by Master Simon Chung. In December of 2008 I received my Black Rank in Shoot Wrestling from Professor Mike Yackulic. In April of 2013 I was awarded my Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by Mestre Sylvio Behring.
After 8 years of instructing, over a decade of training, and competing in many local/provincial/national tournaments I committed myself further to martial arts by opening my own dojo. On May 29, 2009, I co-opened Arashi-Do Martial Arts West Edmonton, which went on to be awarded:
– Best Martial Arts Studio – Vue Weekly (September 2012)
– Best Martial Arts Studio – Vue Weekly (September 2013)
– Best Martial Arts School – Top Choice Award (May 2014)
– Best Martial Arts Studio – Vue Weekly (September 2014)
– Best Martial Arts Studio – Vue Weekly (September 2016)
I received my Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation in July of 2015. In November 2016, our team expanded to new location which is known as Arashi Do West Edmonton: Mayfield. April 2017 saw me promoted to First Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by Mestre Sylvio Behring. I strive to continue my own growth and learning as a martial artist and person.
– Started training Taekwondo under Master Simon Chung (June 1999)
– First Degree Black Belt, Taekwondo (November 2003)
– Started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Professor Mike Yackulic (June 2004)
– Started training Shoot Wrestling under Professor Mike Yackulic (June 2004)
– Second Degree Black Belt, Taekwondo (March 2006)
– Black Rank: Fighter Level, Shoot Wrestling (December 2008)
– Co-Opened Arashi-Do Martial Arts, West Edmonton (May 2009)
– Coaches Cup: Mind Body Soul – Alberta Open (June 2012)
– Black Belt, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (April 2013)
– Coaches Cup: Mind Body Soul – Alberta Open (June 2013)
– Professor Stripes presented by Mestre Sylvio da Matta Behring (April 2014)
– Opened Arashi-Do Martial Arts, West Edmonton: Mayfield (November 2016)
– 1st Degree Black Belt, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (April 2017)